If I agree to split my account equally with my spouse, do I need to contact GuideStone prior to entry of the final divorce decree?

Yes. GuideStone can help your attorney draft the language to include in the divorce decree or QDRO, which specifies the amount of your plan account to be assigned to your spouse. Federal law requires the divorce decree to be very specific and GuideStone cannot honor an improperly worded decree. 

Was this article helpful?