What are ministers' responsibilities concerning the housing allowance?

As taxpayers, ministers must determine if they are eligible for a housing allowance, understand the limits and follow all the rules. They must keep records to substantiate the cost of everything they exclude from income as housing expenses. If a church designates more than a minister can claim as a housing allowance in a given year, the minister is responsible for reporting and paying taxes on the correct amount of income. Any excess housing allowance should be reported as income on the minister’s tax return. Ministers must also pay self-employment (SECA) taxes on their housing allowance or on the fair rental value of their home if they live in a parsonage.

For more information, visit the Ministers' Tax Guide

Was this article helpful?