How can taxpayers verify the accuracy of Social Security Administration records?

The Social Security Administration (SSA) automatically sends annual statements to workers and former workers who are 25 and older. Taxpayers can also request statements at other times by completing Form SSA-7004, Request for Social Security Statement, available on the SSA’s Web site at or by calling the SSA at 1-800-772-1213. All taxpayers should review their statements carefully. Any errors can be reported and corrected more easily the sooner they are found. For more information about annual statements and other Social Security issues, see the Social Security Administration’s Web site at

Was this article helpful?