Blue Cross Blue Shield Global® Core (BCBS Global Core) offers benefits to Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield (Highmark BCBS) members traveling or living outside the United States. If you are enrolled in a Highmark BCBS medical plan, then you have access to overseas medical care through BCBS Global Core.
- Call BCBS Global Core at 1-800-810-BLUE (2583) if you require any medical attention or inpatient or outpatient care while traveling outside the United States.
- In the event of an emergency, please go to the nearest hospital first and then contact BCBS Global Core.
- In addition to contacting BCBS Global Core, call Highmark BCBS at 1-866-472-0924 anytime between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. U.S. CST to obtain precertification or preauthorization. (Please note that this number is different from the BCBS Global Core number.)
- If you need inpatient care, call BCBS Global Core at 1-800-810-2583 to arrange direct billing. In most cases, you should not need to pay up front for inpatient care except for the out-of-pocket expenses (non-covered services, deductible, co-payment and co-insurance) you would normally pay. In most cases, the hospital should be willing to submit the claim on your behalf.
- For outpatient and doctor care — or inpatient care not arranged through BCBS Global Core — you may need to pay up front and then file a claim. You can either do this online at BCBSGlobalCore.com or through the BCBS Global Core mobile app by selecting “Claims” and then submitting your paper form or completing the online wizard. Make sure you also attach all of your bills along with your claim form.
It’s important to have your GuideStone Highmark BCBS medical ID card handy when you call!
You will need to provide BCBS Global Core the following:
- Identify yourself as a GuideStone member.
- Tell the representative your member ID number from your GuideStone Highmark BCBS medical card.
- Share the group number from your GuideStone Highmark BCBS ID card.
- Tell the representative the date of birth of the person receiving treatment.