What can a church do to ensure that a minister always has some amount designated as a housing allowance?

Churches should consider designating a housing allowance "for the current year and for all future years unless otherwise provided." This "safety net" allows a designation to carry over from year to year, preventing problems if a church forgets to designate an allowance one year. However, safety net allowances should not be viewed as a substitute for designating a housing allowance each year.

For more information, visit the Ministers' Tax Guide

Was this article helpful?