Does a minister have to pay Social Security taxes on a church-designated housing allowance?

Yes. Although a housing allowance is excluded from income for federal income tax purposes, a minister must pay SECA taxes on a housing allowance until the minister retires. Refer to our Ministers' Housing Allowance overview regarding SECA and income tax responsibilities. 

For more information, visit our Ministerial Resources Center

Was this article helpful?